Events

Members Only Outings – July 10th & August 19th

Members Only Outings – A reminder that our July and August meetings will comprise a local walk about and an outing further afield respectively: Bridge Street Walkabout – Monday 10th July For our July evening ‘walk about’ we will be looking at points of historic interest in the Bridge Street area. Members attending this walk about are requested to assemble… Read More Members Only Outings – July 10th & August 19th

Share this article:
Then & Now

Bridge Street from Kenilworth Hall – Then & Now

This slightly sinister looking scene shows Bridge Street, presumably taken from Kenilworth Hall. The ‘then’ photo shows what might conceivably be a local bobby peering suspiciously round a gas lamp at the photographer. Warwickshire, like all counties nationally, had been forced to provide a constabulary by Act of Parliament since 1858. Kenilworth Hall was owned by… Read More Bridge Street from Kenilworth Hall – Then & Now

Share this article:
Then & Now

Rosemary Hill – Then & Now

This then and now view shows Rosemary Hill looking towards Bridge Street. According to Helen Scott & Richard Storey in ‘A Second Kenilworth Collection’ (Odibourne Press, 1988) the elegantly gabled building shown (centre) was a millinery shop that once stood at the corner of School Lane and Rosemary Hill.  It was demolished for road widening… Read More Rosemary Hill – Then & Now

Share this article:
Then & Now

J.C. Clarke, Wheelwrights, Bridge Street – Then & Now

Another shot of the timber framed tannery buildings that later housed J.C. Clarke, Wheelwrights up until 1952, which stood on Bridge Street until it was demolished in May 1961. The Ministry of Housing had endorsed the Council surveyor’s view that the buildings had become dangerous, despite them having been listed as having architectural or historic… Read More J.C. Clarke, Wheelwrights, Bridge Street – Then & Now

Share this article:
Then & Now

Bridge Street – Then & Now

Bridge Street, Kenilworth. The old timber framed houses to the left of the ‘then’ photo were demolished in May 1961, despite having been listed as having architectural or historic interest since July 1949. Harry Sunley in his book ‘A Kenilworth Chronology’ (Odibourne Press, 1989) tells us that these buildings had housed J.C. Clarke, Wheelwrights, up… Read More Bridge Street – Then & Now

Share this article: