Garden of Rest Stonework part 2 – Then & Now

This Then & Now set is part 2 to the earlier part 1 posting here: http://www.khas.co.uk/garden-rest-stonework-pt1-now/

Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey stonework - part 3
Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey stonework – part 3

According to The Abbey of St Mary guidebook by E. Carey-Hill (Odiboure Press, 1985) “What is now known as the Lapidarum Wall was completely rebuilt from its foundations, including the bench, in 1984. The work was carried out by Messrs. A. C. Lloyd (Builders) Ltd of Leamington Spa for Warwick District Council, with advice from the Inspectorate of Historic Buildings & Monuments Commission for England. The Lapidarum Wall was designed by Dr Richard Morris of the University of Warwick, who was assisted by members of the Kenilworth History & Archaeology Society in the arranging of material prior to rebuilding”.

Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey stonework - part 4
Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey stonework – part 4

Messrs. A. C. Lloyd (Builders) Ltd of Leamington Spa for Warwick District Council, with advice from the Inspectorate of Historic Buildings & Monuments Commission for England. The Lapidarum Wall was designed by Dr Richard Morris of the University of Warwick, who was assisted by members of the Kenilworth History & Archaeology Society in the arranging of material prior to rebuilding”.

Share this article:

Garden of Rest Stonework part 1 – Then & Now

Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey Stonework - part 1
Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey Stonework – part 1

According to The Abbey of St Mary guidebook by E. Carey-Hill (Odiboure Press, 1985) “When the north cloister wall of 1890 was rebuilt in 1984, the carved stones were grouped according to architectural type”.

Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey Stonework - part 2
Garden of Rest walls being built from the Abbey Stonework – part 2

He goes on to say “Not all examples of each type have been exposed, as some are buried in the wall for better preservation. The majority of stones are from the Decorated period, c1280 – 1370, and from the Priory Church, which was given an extensive facelift at this time, including new windows. The length of the wall is approximately 95 feet.”

Share this article: