Empty Plot of Liggins Bakery – Then & Now

Liggins' Bakery Demolished
Liggins’ Bakery Demolished

This somewhat forlorn picture shows the final stages of clearing the plot of the former Liggins’ Bakery site at the junction of Park Hill and Stoneleigh Road. A Midland Red bus turns from Park Hill into Albion Street and a Renault 5 starts the steep climb up the hill.

Behind can be seen the 1970s housing estate on Redfern Avenue and Stoneleigh Avenue. These houses were built to replace a batch of 50 prefabs built after WWII for returning servicemen and their families.

The former Liggins site is now occupied by flats built by the Orbit Housing Association, which manages properties for families, couples, single and older people living in a mixture of rented, leasehold, supported and home ownership properties.

We are very grateful to Mrs Joan Heatley for providing the Then photo.

Share this article:

Demolition of Liggins’ Bakery – Then & Now

The Demolition of Liggins’ Bakery
The Demolition of Liggins’ Bakery

This Then & Now pairing shows the demolition of Joseph Liggins’ bakery buildings which stood at the corner of Park Hill and Stoneleigh Road, opposite the Wyandote pub.

The Victorian buildings of the Albion Street area have suffered badly over the last 50 years, culminating in the recent demolition of the Albion Tavern. The Victorian Liggins’ bakery building was seemingly somewhat needlessly demolished in the late 1980s having stood empty for some time. The sites is now occupied by flats built in an ill-matched red brick approximation of the surrounding building styles.

Helen Scott and Richard Storey record in A Third Kenilworth Collection (Odiborne Press, 1989) that the bakery’s demolition and redevelopment was courtesy of the Orbit Housing Association. A picture accompanying the piece shows the yard to the rear of the premises shortly before its demolition in the late 1980s, having latterly been used as the depot of a removals firm

We are very grateful to Mrs Joan Heatley for providing the Then photo.

Share this article:

Liggins’ Bakery, Park Hill – Then & Now

Joseph Liggins’ Bakery, Park Hill
Joseph Liggins’ Bakery, Park Hill

Joseph Liggins’ Bakery stood at the corner of Park Hill and Stoneleigh Road, opposite St Barnabas’ church and the Wyandotte pub. The bakery premises was formerly Parkhill House.

Robin Leach records some details of Joseph Liggins in his book Kenilworth People & Places Volume 2 (Rookfield Publications, 2013). In the census of 1871, Liggins was living in retirement in Thornby House on Windy Arbour. He had achieved master baker status and employed people as far afield as Bedworth and at a mill on the outskirts of Coventry. By 1881 he had come out of retirement and was running the bakery on Park Hill.

The bakery was demolished in the late 1980s.

We are very grateful to Mrs Joan Heatley for providing the Then photo.

Share this article: